'Tis the season! It's starting to feel like Fall, and with the return of the Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks, you KNOW it's time to say hello to this seasonal favorite flavor! But unfortunately for all the pumpkin spice lovers out there, the nutrition facts for your favorite latte, shake, or other seasonal beverage may be a sugary calorie bomb in disguise. One grande Pumpkin Spice Latte, nonfat, with NO whip: 260 calories and 49 GRAMS of sugar.
...and that's the better option. One grande Pumpkin Spice Latte, whole milk, with whip: 420 calories and 50 GRAMS of sugar.
But what about that Pumpkin Pie Blizzard from Dairy Queen?
Small: 570 calories and 67 grams of sugar
Medium: 730 calories and 85 grams of sugar
Large: 960 calories and 112 grams of sugar
While these drinks may be tasty and festive, they can take a toll on your fitness goals when consumed regularly. But, that does not mean you have to pass on the pumpkin this Fall! Check out the recipe below to get the skinny on the classic Pumpkin Pie Shake:
- 1 scoop Vanilla Milkshake or Salted Caramel Quest Nutrition Protein Powder
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon zero calorie sweetener (I use stevia)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional: xanthan gum acts as a thickening agent for your shake, and can be found in the baking aisle at Walmart.)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 6 ice cubes
Cinnamon Streusel (optional topping):
- 2 tablespoons Betterbody Foods PBFit
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon zero calorie sweetener
- 1-2 teaspoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Put all ingredients in a large blender and blend until VERY smooth. Scrape edges of blender with rubber spatula, stir shake, and blend again. Continue this process until mixture is very light and fluffy.
Cinnamon Streusel Layer:
Mix together PBFit, cinnamon, and zero calorie sweetener. Gradually add 1-2 teaspoons of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and mix with a fork until crumbly topping forms. Pour one layer of pumpkin pie shake into a glass, sprinkle with cinnamon streusel, and top with remaining pumpkin pie shake.
Bonus: Try topping with fat-free Reddi Wip and some Walden Farms Calorie Free Caramel Syrup for an extra treat!
Serving Size: 1 shake, with cinnamon streusel layer
Amount per recipe: 2 shakes
Like this recipe? Share it with your friends using the links below!