Healthy Hair OVERHAUL: Tips for Shiny, Full, & Long Locks
Summer is coming and it's time for a HEALTHY HAIR OVERHAUL. Ever since I chopped my hair off over the winter, I've been making an extra effort to keep it full, shiny, and healthy. A lot of you have suggested this topic for a blog post, so I wanted to expand on my hair care routine and give some simple tips that I have noticed making a huge difference in my hair.
1. Remember: you are what you eat
One thing that I have noticed makes the BIGGEST difference in how fast my hair grows, how healthy it feels, and how vibrant the color stays is the foods that I eat. Your hair is similar to your skin: it directly shows what you put in your body. I always try to eat the most natural, clean, whole foods that I can. I love making a fresh salad with loads of colorful veggies, a lean protein like grilled chicken, and some sliced avocado.
2. Take a biotin supplement
After I took the plunge and cut off about 8 inches of my hair (it was the scariest thing in the world) last December, I started taking a biotin supplement to speed up the growth process. This has done WONDERS for the overall health and appearance of my hair and I have even noticed a difference in the length and fullness of my eyelashes. There are also a lot of foods that are high in biotin; including salmon, eggs, edamame, nuts, berries, etc.
3. Protect & prevent damage with quality products
When you use heat on your hair every day to style it, it is SO important to take the proper steps to protect your locks from damage. Some of my favorite products by Rusk Hair Care have helped me keep curling, straightening, and blow drying without excess damage.
CLICK TO SHOP
4. Eat your protein
Protein helps the body produce keratin - which is a fundamental building block of healthy hair! When you aren't getting enough protein in your diet, your hair can be brittle, dull in color, and may not grow as quickly. Some of my favorite lean sources of protein are grilled chicken, salmon, eggs (the whole egg - even the yolk! The yolk contains healthy fats), protein shakes, greek yogurt, mixed nuts, etc.
Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Protein Shake:
1/3 cup rolled oats 1/2 scoop protein powder (use code "BOWERS20" for 20% off www.uniconutrition.com) 2 tablespoons powdered peanut butter 1 scoop Betterbody Foods LIVFit Superfood Blend (one of my favorite things to add to my smoothies for an extra boost of nutrients) 2 tablespoons 100% natural cacao powder 2 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter 1/2 a banana 8 ice cubes 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
5. Healthy fats are your best friend
Especially when it comes to how shiny your hair appears. Avocados, mixed nuts, peanut butter, coconut oil, whole eggs, etc. are great foods to incorporate into every meal. Not only will they contribute to the shiny, fresh hair look we're all going for, but they will keep you full and satisfied for a long period of time.
6. Hydrate your hair with an oil
This is another one that has made SUCH a huge difference in my hair. Especially when I had longer hair, the ends would get so dry and damaged easily. I started using a hydrating oil on the ends before I went to bed at night, and it made a world of a difference. I have jumped around from brand to brand on this one, but I absolutely LOVE ColorProof's TruCurl Anti Frizz Oil. It is a combination of Abyssinian, Camellia, and Grapeseed Oils that work together to hydrate, nourish, and protect your hair from heat and it makes my hair feel SO fresh and shiny. Warning: this stuff is addicting!
CLICK TO SHOP
7. Use dry shampoo or a restyling cream I actually HATE washing my hair and will avoid doing so whenever I get the chance. I sweat every day, so sometimes it can get a little tricky, but I try to hold out for two days between washes. Your body produces natural oils that are hydrating and replenishing to your hair; and when you wash them all away you won't get the benefits they are made to produce! On days I skip washing my hair, I do still use dry shampoo (what college girl hasn't used her fair share of dry shampoo, right?). I like to spray it at my roots and brush it through to the ends. Rusk Hair Care has the BEST restyling cream. I have noticed that some creams can lead to product build up in your hair and make it more difficult to style, but the Rusk Heatshift restyling cream works wonders for a quick fix up without heat.
CLICK TO SHOP
What are your favorite tips and tricks to keep your hair healthy? Leave a comment below. I want to hear from you!