This Mediterranean Avocado Quinoa Salad is one of my absolute favorite healthy lunch options for a few reasons:
2. It makes a TON. Like, prepare to have leftovers for the whole week.
4. Quinoa is a healthy grain that is higher in protein than rice.
Did I mention it's loaded with avocado?
There is a reason avos have become so popular recently - and it's NOT just because they make a super Instagram worthy snapshot when sliced and spread across whole grain toast (although that is definitely part of it).
Avocados are a great source of healthy fat. They have a creamy, rich texture, and they are loaded with fiber. The result: you will feel fuller and more satisfied after eating a meal with a serving of avocado than if you were to ditch the fat altogether.
77% of the calories in avocados come from healthy fats. Some nutrients are "fat soluble" & have to be combined with fat in order to be absorbed by the body (vitamins A, D, E, K, & certain antioxidants). So, by including healthy fats in a meal that has other nutrient dense foods (like all the colorful veggies in this Mediterranean Avocado Quinoa Salad), your body will be able to better absorb the nutrients from the other foods.
CLICK HERE to view: How to Make Healthy Nutella Using an Avocado
Fat has had a bad rep in the health and fitness world over the years, but recently more and more people are beginning to realize the importance of including enough healthy fats in your diet. Here are just a few of the many benefits of avocados:
1. There are seven grams of fiber per 3.5 ounces of avocado.
2. Avocados are high in monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs)
3. They have high levels of the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, which support eye health.
4. Avos are low in sugar. There is only ONE gram per one cup of sliced avocado.
5. High levels of omega-3 can help boost your mood.
6. The high amounts of fiber and healthy fats combined will help keep you full longer.
7. Avocados have been shown to reduce inflammation in joints, tissues, and muscles.
8. They are high in carotenoids, which promote healthy skin.
The list goes on and on! Fun fact: avocados are actually a fruit. and can be considered a "single seeded berry," according to this article on Huffington Post.
Anyways, on to this DELICIOUS and super easy Mediterranean Avocado Quinoa Salad. If you have never tried quinoa (or if you don't know how to pronounce it, don't worry you're not alone), I definitely recommend giving it a go! In comparison to brown rice, quinoa has more fiber and protein, which will keep you full longer after a meal. They have similar textures and provide the same bulk to a dish, so the swap is super easy to make.
If you are looking for a meal you can prep early on in the week and store in tupperware containers to have on hand when your days get extra busy: this is the meal for you. Check out the recipe below!
CLICK HERE to view: Healthy Snack Recipe | Roasted Red Pepper & Sun Dried Tomato Hummus
What are some of your favorite ways to add avocado to your diet? Head over to my latest Instagram post @samanthabowers_ and let me know!
CLICK HERE for more healthy recipes.